The Alex Jones Sandy Hook judgment out of Texas has been dramatically reduced, with a state appeals court cutting a $50 million award down to roughly $6 million in a unanimous decision issued Friday.
The Texas Third Court of Appeals grounded its ruling in state statutes that place hard ceilings on certain categories of damages, rather than in any reassessment of what the Infowars founder actually did.
What the Court Kept and What It Removed
The panel left untouched more than $4.1 million in compensatory damages that a jury awarded to Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis for defamation and emotional distress.
The reduction came almost entirely from the punitive side. More than $45 million in additional punitive damages was cut to $1.5 million, bringing the figure in line with a Texas cap of $750,000 per plaintiff.
Two findings supported that decision. The court concluded that Heslin and Lewis had not demonstrated that harassment following the hoax claims reached a severity that would justify exceeding the statutory limit. It also determined that the trial judge had improperly permitted the parents to pursue higher damages after the trial had concluded.
Importantly, the ruling did not disturb the underlying finding that Jones defamed the families.
The Connecticut Case Is Untouched
The Texas outcome has no effect on a separate Connecticut judgment of $1.25 billion, where Jones was likewise found responsible for defamation and inflicting emotional distress on relatives of the 20 first-graders and six staff members killed in the 2012 Newtown attack.
Jones previously attempted to bring that Connecticut judgment before the U.S. Supreme Court and was turned away last year.
Christopher Mattei, who represents families in the Connecticut litigation, said Friday’s decision carries no weight in the ongoing Texas proceedings concerning the liquidation of the Infowars parent company.
Reaction From Both Sides
Jones characterized the ruling as a major win for free speech and indicated he intends to press the case further, appealing to the Texas Supreme Court in an effort to eliminate what damages remain. He described his legal team as skilled constitutional attorneys who have no intention of relenting.
Mark Bankston, who represented Heslin and Lewis in Texas, dismissed the ruling as inconsequential. He pointed out that it touches only two of the nineteen claims shared across the group of families and that Jones still confronts more than a billion dollars in liability.
In his view, the decision changes nothing practical and instead exposes what he considers the absurdity of the state’s damages framework.
Notably, Jones’s own trial attorney had predicted almost immediately after the punitive award was announced that it would be reduced to precisely $1.5 million on appeal.
The Case That Started It All
Heslin and Lewis lost their 6-year-old son, Jesse Lewis, in the shooting. Their lawsuit and the 2022 verdict represented the first occasion on which Jones was held financially accountable for spreading falsehoods claiming the massacre was staged by the government to advance gun restrictions.
Throughout the proceedings, Jones framed the case as an assault on his constitutional rights. Yet during the trial itself he acknowledged that the shooting was entirely real and that he had been wrong to claim otherwise.
Testimony in both the Texas and Connecticut trials described the consequences for families. Relatives recounted death threats, threats of sexual violence, confrontations in person and sustained abuse online from people who believed the shooting had been fabricated. Jones maintained that nothing tied him directly to those actions.
Heslin and Lewis told jurors that an apology would not be adequate, initially asking for more than $150 million to account for years of suffering endured by them and other families.
Financial Collapse and Reinvention
The cumulative judgments have upended Jones’s operations. He and his company, Free Speech Systems, entered bankruptcy, personal property was placed at auction, and he ultimately departed the original Infowars platform he had used for decades to promote theories about the United Nations, the federal government, gun policy and much else.
Despite all of it, families have yet to receive any money. Jones has pursued extended appeals through both state and bankruptcy courts while his company moves toward liquidation.
He also remains broadcasting. In April he pulled Infowars off the air, relocated operations, and shifted his programs to new websites and to his personal account on X.
The Onion Enters the Picture
One of the stranger chapters in the saga involves the satirical outlet The Onion, which sought to acquire the Infowars platforms and convert them into parody.
In November 2024, the Chicago-based publication was declared the winner of a bankruptcy auction of Free Speech Systems assets, a sale intended to generate funds toward the defamation judgments. A federal judge subsequently overturned that result, pointing to flaws in the auction process and in the bid itself.
The Onion has nonetheless launched its own Infowars page on its website, hosting videos that mock Jones’s style and content.
A proposed licensing arrangement that would grant the outlet temporary use of Infowars trademarks, copyrights and intellectual property currently sits frozen, because liquidation proceedings have been paused while Jones’s appeals move forward.
Where Things Stand
Friday’s ruling narrows one piece of a sprawling legal landscape without resolving any of it. The defamation finding survives, the Connecticut judgment remains fully intact, and the bankruptcy process continues.
For the families, the practical situation is unchanged: substantial judgments on paper, no payment received, and a defendant still broadcasting to an audience.
Author
-
Lucienne Albrecht is Luxe Chronicle’s wealth and lifestyle editor, celebrated for her elegant perspective on finance, legacy, and global luxury culture. With a flair for blending sophistication with insight, she brings a distinctly feminine voice to the world of high society and wealth.






