Skip to main content Scroll Top
Advertising Banner
920x90
Top 5 This Week
Advertising Banner
305x250
Recent Posts
Subscribe to our newsletter and get your daily dose of TheGem straight to your inbox:
Popular Posts
Two Dead in Livestreamed Shooting at Zamboanga School as Philippines Confronts a Second Attack

A Philippine school shooting on Tuesday, Aug. 18, left two people dead at a Catholic private university in western Mindanao, and the attack was broadcast live on social media by the student who carried it out. It is the country’s second such incident in as many months.

Authorities said a ninth-grade student shot a schoolmate before ending his own life at Ateneo de Zamboanga University.

What Investigators Have Established

Regional police spokeswoman Shella Chang gave Agence France-Presse a brief account of the sequence. The shooter went to the classroom where the victim was, opened fire, then moved to the fifth floor and killed himself.

Police have not confirmed any additional injuries.

The national police are now pursuing three central questions, according to a statement from the interior ministry:

  • What motivated the attack
  • Who owned the firearm and where it came from
  • How the weapon was brought onto the campus

That third question is often the most consequential in the aftermath of school attacks, because it points toward what might have interrupted the sequence.

The Livestream

Interior Secretary Victor Remulla confirmed separately that the suspect broadcast the incident on social media. The Facebook account associated with him has since been disabled.

Footage circulated by local outlets shows a gun barrel moving down a hallway in a framing that resembles a first-person video game, then being directed into a classroom and fired. Students in uniform can be seen screaming and running toward an exit.

The deliberate visual style of the broadcast is itself a detail investigators will likely examine, as attacks staged for an online audience follow patterns that differ from unplanned violence.

The Weapons Belonged to a Customs Agent

Hours after the shooting, the Philippine customs department announced the preventative suspension of an agent who owned the firearms allegedly used.

Customs Deputy Chief of Staff Noel Bendijo told AFP the department acted on information supplied by its own officers in Zamboanga. The man in question was the father of the alleged shooter. Bendijo said the specifics of which firearms were used, and how the teenager gained access to them, remain under investigation.

He also described speaking with the agent directly. The man understands the situation, Bendijo said, though he is grieving as well, having lost his own child. He called it a nightmare for any parent.

The Campus Response

Father Guillrey Andal, who heads Ateneo de Zamboanga, confirmed the two deaths and said the institution was deeply saddened. The school is cooperating with the police investigation.

Speaking to reporters earlier in the day, Andal said the school was working with authorities on identification so that families could be notified first. He acknowledged the incident had generated deep concern and worry across the community.

Preparations That Came Too Recently

The most difficult detail in the school’s account concerns what it had already done.

School shootings remain rare in the Philippines. But in June, an attack at a school in the central part of the country killed three teenagers and wounded 20 others.

In the aftermath, institutions across the Philippines began conducting active shooter drills. Ateneo de Zamboanga was among them, holding exercises last month.

Andal said the security team had already been developing a simulation exercise before that, because the school recognised how much safety matters to students and staff alike.

Preparation of that kind can improve evacuation and response. It cannot address the question of how a firearm reaches a campus in the first place.

The Access Problem

The emerging facts point toward a pattern documented repeatedly in school attacks worldwide: a young person using weapons legally owned by a parent.

Investigators have not yet determined whether the firearms were stored improperly, whether the teenager had known access, or how the transfer occurred. Those findings will matter well beyond this case, since storage requirements for privately owned guns are among the few interventions that reliably interrupt this specific pathway.

The father’s position as a government agent adds a layer of scrutiny, given that officials issued firearms typically operate under defined handling and storage obligations.

A Second Incident in Two Months

Two attacks in quick succession have altered how the issue is discussed in a country where such violence has historically been uncommon.

The June shooting produced drills. This one raises harder questions about weapons access, about online broadcasting as an element of planned attacks, and about whether school-based measures alone can address a problem that begins outside school grounds.

For now, a campus community in Zamboanga is dealing with the immediate aftermath: two families notified, students who witnessed what happened, and an institution that had rehearsed for this scenario weeks before it arrived.

This article discusses violence and suicide. If you or someone you know is struggling, support is available, and I can help you find appropriate resources.

Author

  • Lucienne

    Lucienne Albrecht is Luxe Chronicle’s wealth and lifestyle editor, celebrated for her elegant perspective on finance, legacy, and global luxury culture. With a flair for blending sophistication with insight, she brings a distinctly feminine voice to the world of high society and wealth.

Related Posts
More news